Friday, February 1, 2013

2013 Austin Marathon: A training exercise for the Ironman

With less than a few weeks to go, the 2013 Austin Marathon is going to be my first Marathon to compete in.  Since the beginning of January last year, I started around 2-3 miles and over the course of the year slowly got to 20+ this past December.



The adaptation of miles for me had a slower uptake than most of the people who I talked to - most people only need 2-3 months to get there.  I'm guessing my injury a few years ago really set me back quite a bit, but luckily with patience and caution I've been able to get up to the level I need to make it work.

Recording in at about 10:45/mi, I'm expecting to land in the 4-5 hour range for that marathon.  Telemetry will be posted for post race analysis once all is said and done.

This also marks the first time my training and ramped up in the winter.  Normally winter is my rest time or the period of the season to cut weight, but the marathon training is already getting me to that point regardless of what I do.  What will be more interesting is to see how this will translate to this year's season of Triathlons.

Talking to a few people along with my coach, I am aiming to do my first Ironman in 2014 (Houston) vs 2013, as I need to be a bit more seasoned in the scheduling and workout volume.

Check for analysis of my performance after Feb. 17th!

No comments:

Post a Comment